Monday, July 19, 2010

The Process So Far!

Well, here I am with 62 five inch squares of Fresh Cottons prints and 62 five inch squares of cream broadcloth.  Notice I have drawn a line diagonally across each of the cream squares.

I am now sewing one cream square to one print square, stiching 1/4 inch on each side of the drawn line. 

Next I cut on the line.

And I have two squares that look like this.

I always press to the print or the darker fabric.  This works very well for pinwheels because when you sew them together the seam allowance will fall on opposite sides.

I put four half-square triangles together for each pinwheel.  I sewed the bottom two together and then the top two then pressed the seams again and sewed the two halves together.

It will now look like this.  If you are very careful about your 1/4 inch seams and press well and pin carefully at the seams, your points should come together very well in the center of the block.

I then made a plastic template from the pattern that came with the quilt pattern.  I traced around the template with a pencil on each of the four corners.

Now it is time to start trimming.  I used my triangle ruler to get a nice straight edge instead of just eyeballing the pencil line.

This is what it should look like after it is fully trimmed.

Here are a few more.  I really like the look of these octagons.
Here is the pile of pinwheel blocks ready to be trimmed.  The quilt pattern calls for 31 of them so I guess I'd better get busy.

1 comment:

sara said...

Can't wait to see what this one is going to look like.

01 09 10