Thursday, May 6, 2010

Remember This?

I finished the Aster Manor quilt this week.  If you remember, my daughter Miranda cut and pieced the squares.  I had reported on an earlier blog that this was a charm pack quilt.  Miranda informed me that it was made using a layer cake.
Because she made this for a friend who is getting married, she wanted the quilt to be as close to a queen size as possible.  I added the borders to make it bigger and then because the outside floral print was nice and wide I decided to try a scalloped border.  I used a template by Darlene Zimmerman that worked really well. 


I quilted it in an edge to edge circular pattern.  The bias binding is an Aster Manor  paisley print and the back is a brown broadcloth.  I used an 80/20 cotton poly batting. It has already been washed on a delicate cycle in my front loading washer and dried on a low heat.  The quilt shrunk up a little and has that nice antique look.  What a lucky bride to get such a beautiful gift.

2 comments:

Helen McNaught @ AuntyHennys said...

Love the scalloped borders and your quilting is wonderful.

The bride is going to LOVE it!!

Happy Sewing!

buzygrizz said...

(Found your blog by searching for a queen quilt made with charm packs. I was looking for ideas, and to know how many packs to buy.)
Beautiful! I love the scalloped border. I recently did one on a baby quilt, with the disappearing 9 patch inside a double border like yours. I would guess that if your daughter did use a layer cake (10" squares), she likely cut them in fourths to be like a charm pack (5" squares). A queen mattress is about 60" across and there are 12 square that about span that -- so about 5" squares (+/- for seam allowances). She did a great job with the color placement - color diagonals that don't draw the eye too sharply in lines but rather blends very nicely.

01 09 10