Friday, February 19, 2010

My Mother's Gift!


My Mother made this quilt for me when I was married, almost 26 years ago.
I didn't realize at the time how much went into piecing a quilt and quilting it.   

I know it was the first star quilt she made and she only made one more after this.
I remember choosing the fabric,  I'm not sure why I went with purple because red is my favorite color.  I think I just liked the prints.



Her work was so precise as she fit every diamond together.
My mother passed away in 1997 so this quilt has become even more special to me.  I know it was a labor of love.  To me, the quilts or other handcrafted items we put together are tangible proof of how much we love our family and friends who are the recipients of our gifts. 


I have been watching the Olympics religiously (our poor curling teams) so I have been doing a lot of handwork.  I'm working on a receiving blanket and matching burp clothes for a shower gift.  I like to give handmade gifts to new babies so hopefully I can get this finished by next week.

One burp cloth is finished.


A close up of the crochet pattern around the edge.

1 comment:

sara said...

Oh my gosh! Bode just won Gold. Now for what I really wanted to say. I loved seeing the Star Quilt. I remember Mom working on it for you. It really was a labor of love. I wish she was still around to see us working on all of our handmade projects. She would have loved to do them with us. Even though we were slow learners I am glad that we finally learned this handicrafts to share with others. I too am crocheting a baby blanket while watching the Olympics. We really are in sync this week.

01 09 10