Friday, January 29, 2010

Just Dreamy Rag Quilt

I woke up last night at about 2:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep so I came downstairs and cut out the squares for this quilt.  I cut 25 8 1/2 inch squares for the front and the same for the back.  I cut 7 inch squares of warm and cozy for the inside.  Then I went back upstairs and fell asleep.
I started sewing the sandwiched squares together this morning.  I used 3/4 inch seams and then cut with my scissors around all the squares.  I then washed and dried it.  This is the finished result.  It is approximately 36 x 36.  I think this would be fine for a baby girl or boy.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Helen McNaught @ AuntyHennys said...

I love raggy quilts! I really like how you used just one fabric for the back - I assume you did the quilting first, then joined the rows? Do you sew around the outside of the block? I've seen some who do and some who don't, but as I've never made one of these, I'm hoping to learn from everyone else first before I start!

Your blog is lovely!

The Schauerhamers said...

I love those colors and I agree, that could be for a girl or a boy~

Jennifer said...

When sewing rag quilts, generally you sew the fabric together with an x from corner to corner. You do not need to sew around the edges of the block. I do sew around the edge of the completed quilt and then cut every quarter of an inch or so. It will fray better this way.

01 09 10